Thursday 26 October 2006

I'm a wreck (Leigh Ann)

We were in a wreck on Monday. Someone backed out, without looking or stopping, into the road we were driving down. Swerving to miss him (he still hit me) I ran into a tree. The kids were buckled in and fine. I got some bruises and aches. The van is totalled, but that is the good news. The bad news, I am still trying to come to terms with. The guy driving the car only had a driver’s permit, no license. The car he was driving belonged to his 14 year-old girlfriend’s mom. The 14 year-old gave the guy the keys to the car. Mom said he didn’t have permission to drive the car, so mom’s insurance says they will not pay for damages (he was ticketed for contributing to the accident, I was not). We were advised to get our insurance company to seek repayment from the other company. While seeking to do this, we found out that our insurance had expired. We have no idea how that happened. We moved earlier this spring and think that there was a mail mix up with the bill. But we have to prove that we had a mix-up in order to be reinstated. The only other solution is that I threw 4 statements away from these people, yet payed the 5th one on our car. This is hitting me really hard because I try my best to keep on top of things, and keep asking myself how this happened. I feel so stupid. Only a moron would not know that her insurance had expired. How could anyone be that stupid. And, honestly, there is no good answer. (I’m doing the work. I’m babystepping.) I just want to go to sleep and wake up when this is all over. That is another thing. I am having problems sleeping and taking care of the kids is wearing on me big time. Markus took some time off work but was still working from home and we were both trying to clear all this mess up. We are now going to see a lawyer, because, apart from our insurance difficulties, the parties responsible for this accident are not taking responsibility.

The Lord is teaching me through this though. I am learning not to put my trust in insurance or lawyers or my own efforts to stay on top of things. This is from God’s good hand for a good reason, my good. I am learning to tie myself to that truth and cling to it when my mind starts going down the “why” and “what” part for the millionth time.

Markus has decided that I need to sign up for Curves for several reasons:regular exercise with variety, a chance to have a break at least 3 nights a week, an improvement to my sleep problem through exercise, in short, he want a sane wife back. I think now, after this shake-up, I need this even more.

Your prayers are greatly appreciated. I know how much worse it could have been. The Lord is very good and I realize that. I hate that this is such a big deal to me when others are going through things much worse. I think it is just because it is something more to deal with that has been added to a pile that I feel like I am about collapse under. I am learning to “roll my burdens on the Lord, so He will sustain me.

Thanks for letting me share.

5 Comments »

  1. Leigh Ann,

    {{Hugs}} to you. I can see how someone would not know their insurance had expired. I barely give it a thought, except to deduct the payment from my checking account since it is direct withdrawal. One month of not paying attention and I could be without insurance and not have a clue!

    Praying for you!

    Comment by lady laura — October 26, 2006 @ 9:44 pm

  2. I’m letting out a big sigh for you. It will be okay whatever the outcome.

    Comment by Tami — October 27, 2006 @ 6:11 am

  3. LeighAnn - I am so sorry that all of those crazy things are happening to your family right now. The Lord is so good and faithful and I know He will pull you up.

    Was this kid on his parent’s insurance policy?? In Ohio you are not allowed to have any type of a permit, license, etc. w/o proof of insurance. I always thought if I was in an accident in my mom’s car it would be my own personal insurance that would cover me…not my mother’s….so if he was under his parent’s policy wouldn’t that cover the accident??

    Comment by Mandi — October 27, 2006 @ 6:29 am

  4. Oh Leigh Ann, I’m so glad you guys are okay!!!! And I’m sorry about all the post-accident trauma. I’ll be praying too!

    Comment by blestwithsons — October 27, 2006 @ 7:30 am

  5. In SC the insurance of the car involved in the accident is supposed to be responsable. Since the guy driving the car was the boyfriend and didn’t have permission to use the car (per mom of girlfriend–even though girlfriend gave boyfriend the keys–I still think that would make mom responsible for daughter’s actions) the insurance is saying they are not responsible. It might end up where the guy’s parent’s insurance will end up footing the bill.
    But like I said, the Lord is showing me that even when I think I have got it all together and can handle anything that is thrown at me, He is the only one that I can absolutly trust in.
    Thanks for your prayers and concern.
    Leigh Ann

    Comment by Leigh Ann — October 27, 2006 @ 8:25 am

No comments: