Thursday 12 October 2006

Test the truth (blest)

So yesterday we learned how to set our negative and deceitful thoughts up against the illuminating reality of God’s Truth. As we saturate our minds in God’s thoughts, wonderful things will happen…

Isaiah 55:8-12a “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD.
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts.
For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
And do not return there without watering the earth
And making it bear and sprout,
And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater;
So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth;
It will not return to Me empty,
Without accomplishing what I desire,
And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.
For you will go out with joy
And be led forth with peace…”

Exciting, isn’t it! You know the Bible is full of promise after promise for those who saturate themselves in God’s Word. I posted a list of some of them back in January. As God reveals to us the truths which counteract the lies you’ve been hosting in your mind, it only makes sense that we memorize them, doesn’t it?

Anyway. Here are two of the lies I’ve been telling myself which are now being brought captive to God’s word.

My Thought: God plays favorites and I’m not one of them.

Ludicrous, I know. I’m not going to go into all the foolishness which underlies that thought. But I had my (goofy) reasons for thinking that. So anyway, I was reading my Bible researching something else and ran across a verse about God’s impartiality. I didn’t think it really answered my thought, though, because it applied more to there being no difference between Jews and Gentiles. But on a whim, I followed the cross-references. And I ended up on this:

Reality (God’s Truth) Acts 10:34-35 Opening his mouth, Peter said: “I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality, but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him”

I love it!! God will lead me and teach me and yea, even bless me if I fear Him and obey. I don’t have to be Elisabeth Elliot or Audrey Broggi or anyone else that I was comparing myself with and thinking that God wanted them more than me. If I fear Him and obey Him, I am just as welcome as they are.

Now here’s one where I wrote down a desire/temptation that had been bothering me - one that I knew was not godly.

My thought/desire: I want to run off and have adventures. I just want to have fun!!

Reality (God’s Truth): Proverbs 11:29a He who troubles his own house will inherit wind.Proverbs 11:22 As a ring of gold in a swine’s snout, so is a beautiful woman who lacks discretion.

Romans 6:21 Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of these things is death.

If you’ve been testing thoughts, I would love to see the truths that God has been showing you. I’ve put a linky thing on my personal site. If you’ve posted on this subject, please add your link over there. Or you can just share in the comments over here!

No comments: