Tuesday 12 September 2006

Not your typical stroll around the block

Ever since Carrie mentioned WATP the other day, I have been unable to think of much else. I had a set of Leslie’s videos a few years ago (got them as something to do while preggers) so I am quite familiar with the workouts. I’ve been in need of some kind of cardio workout that wouldn’t disturb my downstairs neighbors and that I could do with my headphones on (loved your idea Carrie). With all this talk about upping our intensity, I knew I had to rise to the challenge. Pilates are great for increasing strength and flexibility (both of which I need) but I need something more strenuous in the way of a cardio workout too.

After spending about two hours trying to decide on which videos to purchase of the WATP series (she’s got like two dozen plus), I gave up on the idea….for the moment that is. Yesterday when I put the kids down for quiet time, I pulled out my ipod, opened the blinds in my bedroom (we have a beautiful view of tree tops) and started walking right there. When the music sped up, I did too. At one point during a Kutless song I was actually jogging. I also found myself dancing hysterically a few times. I also did some kicks (forward and back), knee lifts and hopping. I enjoyed being able to praise God while I worked out too. I did this for thirty minutes and I can feel it in my legs. I plan to do it again today along with one of my pilates videos (have I mentioned that I LOVE pilates).

When I am able to get my bod up early again I can do it in the living room so it won’t wake the downstairs folks (they’re gone during the day most days). I feel like I’ve been floundering in the exercise department since my treadmill got packed up (that was like back in MAY) and this was a nice change.

2 Comments »

  1. My kids and I have this thing we do in the winter that we call “candle-dancing”. It only works when it’s dark in the evenings. We light all our candles, turn the lights out, turn up some really loud music, and dance around the living room. It’s a great workout and the kids have a blast!

    Comment by Carrie — September 12, 2006 @ 12:52 pm

  2. Oh what a neat idea with the candles! We’ve done “crazy-cleaning-dancing” where we blast the music and dance about while trying to pick up.

    We haven’t done it since we’ve been here because we have people below us now…eeekkkk!

    Comment by Blair — September 12, 2006 @ 2:26 pm

No comments: