Wednesday 6 September 2006

What next? (Carrie)

Remember when I posted how Satan likes to launch a full onslaught every time I get serious about losing weight? Well, in the past few weeks since I re-committed to this blog and getting serious about my weight (and started losing again), here’s what’s happened:

  • Our DVD player broke. $50 for a new one. I know this is a luxury, but we’ don’t have cable, so our Netflix is our entertainment in the evenings when the kids are in bed.
  • Our modem broke. I don’t have to tell you ladies how scary the thought of no DSL was. $100 for a new one.
  • My stove broke. I’m not kidding. $315 to fix it - just the parts. So we bought a new one: $467.
  • Our toilet stopped flushing. Not expensive, but a pain in the …well, you know.
  • So I thought we were finished. Made it through with only a little whining and complaining and stress eating. Then Sunday I got hit with a stomach virus. Not fun, but it did have the benefit of doubling my weight loss for the week.

    My husband started getting up early due to a new position with longer hours at work, so I decided to start getting up with him. I figured out that if I put my Walk Away the Pounds video on and mute it, I can wear my MP3 player and listen to an audiobook while I work out. Yesterday morning was the first day I did it - had a great day; endorphins are wonderful things.

    Then, yesterday afternoon, I find a lump behind my ear. A large, hard, painful bump. Now I have since figured out that it’s probably just a swollen lymph node due to the recurring sinusitis, but I was freaked. My health is a huge area of fear for me. I’m not afraid of being sick, I’m afraid of not being able to care for my family. It took a while for the anxiety to leave. I made a doctor’s appointment for next week, just in case it’s still swollen. I prayed through, and managed to get a decent night’s sleep, determined not to let anything derail my perseverance.

    I rise at 5:30 again this morning and get my workout in. I get the kids up and ready to go out the door by 8 so we can get our grocery shopping done while town is quiet and then do school when we get home.

    My rear passenger tire is flat. Completely flat. If-you-drive-on-this-you’ll-destroy-your-wheel flat. I call Les Schwab (I love that company) and they send out a wonderfully polite young man who fills my tire. The kids and again pile in, intent on heading to Les Schwab first to have the tire checked for a slow leak and then shopping.

    My van will not shift out of park. I kid you not. No matter what I try. It starts, but I can’t shift to drive. I’m trying not to cry or let my kids know how frustrated I am. Transmissions are expensive! And Kevin is so stressed out with the added responsibility of this promotion that I didn’t even want to tell him.

    He got online and found out that this is simply a safety measure when there is a short in your brake lights or a blown fuse to your brake lights. Instead of a nice little warning light or buzzer, the manufacturer decided it would be better for the whole darn thing to just lock up and freak the owner completely out thinking their transmission is blown.

    Sarcasm aside, I am grateful that it is much cheaper to replace wiring or a fuse than a transmission. But pray for my husband. He’s been so stressed about work that he isn’t sleeping well and now he gets to come home tonight and work on our van, which is his absolute least favorite thing to do.

    Also, pray that I persevere and that I handle whatever is thrown at me next with grace and humor, rather than frustration and anger. I keep thinking what a mess I would’ve been without those endorphins!

    7 Comments »

    1. I would suggest another entertainment for when the kids are in bed…and it burns calories too! But considering Lorri and Stephanie…. :lol:

      Sorry it’s been so rough! I guess you are getting the battles from without while I get the ones from within!
      Love ya!!

      Comment by blestwithsons — September 6, 2006 @ 4:38 pm

    2. Blest - Yes, that “entertainment” works, too. And we don’t have to worry about a surprise, cause I had to have my tubes tied due to two c-sections and re-curring pre-eclampsia. Unless God decides to intervene, of course! Kevin fixed the van tonight - it only took a $4 fuse and 5 minutes. God is good.

      Comment by Carrie — September 6, 2006 @ 5:55 pm

    3. Wow Carrie - I have been in that place many many times girl. The evil one really likes to throw out all the stops doesn’t he? God is good though and even better, He’s stronger :o )

      You know we had something similar happening with our van right in the midst of our whole “turn our life upside down” transition this summer. Erik was home one weekend (this was during the time when we only saw him on the weekends) and it seemed it acted up every weekend he was there. I was so fed up with it after what seemed like the billionth time, I threw my hands on the dash board and yelled, “in the name of Jesus Christ, leave this van alone already!” Erik looked at me like I’d just grown a second head, then he tried the stick and it moved out of park lol. Ours would only have issues when Erik was home and I really believe it was something meant to cause frustration and get us to start arguing about stupid stuff when we only had two days together at a time.

      I will certainly pray for you Carrie ((HUGS)), I know how exhausting spiritual attacks can be.

      Comment by Blair — September 6, 2006 @ 7:16 pm

    4. Oh and I wanted to add a “way to go” on getting up early and working out!!! WOOHOO!!

      Comment by Blair — September 6, 2006 @ 7:16 pm

    5. Yikes … when it rains in pours! Well done, on perservering and trusting God even though it was tough, though.

      Comment by stephanie — September 7, 2006 @ 5:19 am

    6. Girl, I know where you are!!! I am praying for you guys in all of this… My hubby stresses over this stuff, too, and it is not good for them to be so stressed. I will pray especially for calm and peace for him in this. (((((BIGGINORMOUSHUG))))) I am so proud of you for getting up and doing that workout. That will help with the stress a great deal. You are doing so awesome Carrie… :D

      Comment by Leann — September 7, 2006 @ 8:51 am

    No comments: