Saturday 30 September 2006

Watered down

Confession time. I REALLY struggle with getting my daily water intake. I either can’t remember what water I have drank or I just forget to drink water and don’t remember until I am nestled into bed. Does this sound like you??

— Hi. My name is ____________ and I have a drinking problem.

There…..doesn’t that feel better? Just say it out loud. Each day I keep posting my pitiful water intake and think “I’ll do better tomorrow.” We all know how important water is.

THE FACTS:

The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.

Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.

Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.

Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.

A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.

Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.

I have an idea for helping us all to get our needed water. First thing in the morning take a pitcher and measure out (in ounces) your daily requirement of water. If you weigh 190 you would need 95 ozs (or about 12 cups) of water. To make it easier, once you have filled up your pitcher take a Sharpie and mark the water level as a guide for the next day. Then, for the day, only drink your water from this source. At the end of the day you will be able to see/measure how much water you did or did not drink. Decorate your pitcher with motivational phrases or some of the facts above as a visual reminder. Tell other family members this container is “off limits” so your measurements will be accurate. There are a few reasons I think this idea can be effective.

1. We will be able to see how much water we need.

2. We will be able to keep track of what we are drinking.

3. If we put the pitcher in the refrigerator our water will always be cold and refreshing to drink.

4. It may prevent us from drinking other things (like juice, soda, tea, milk, etc.) when we see our almost full pitcher staring us down.

If you are going to participate and decorate a pitcher tell me your ideas. What motivational phrases, facts, or scripture are you going to incorporate?? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

2 Comments »

  1. I don’t really have a problem with drinking water, probably because I never have liked things like tea or coffee. However one thing I do do is as soon as I empty a cup I refill it. And I take it with me where-ever I am in the house. Even if that means you end up with a cup in every room I suppose you are more likely to drink some if it’s where you are. All the best with this Mandi. Please let us know if there’s other any ways we can encourage you. :-)

    Comment by Debs — September 30, 2006 @ 11:22 am

  2. I use pre-measured water bottles (I have 4 - 32 oz ones). They are “off limits” to the family and they know it lol. It’s how I am able to track what I drink each day.

    I’m working on my second one right now….;)

    Comment by Blair — September 30, 2006 @ 12:37 pm

No comments: