Sunday 10 September 2006

On the road! (blest)

Okay… So it’s day one of our Colorado vacation. And I can honestly say that today has been, without question, the toughest day so far of my weight loss journey. For starters, I don’t know why, but I have been remarkably hungry today. Like really hungry. Like hungry an hour after meals hungry. And I’ve been eating exactly the same way I would be eating at home. Breakfast, snack – the same things I eat every day. Lunch was a yummy turkey roll-up (I found South Beach approved high fiber whole wheat tortillas!) and vegetables. Snack was tasty Triscuits and hummus… But I’m hungry. That’s problem number one. Problem number two is that apparently 30+ years of conditioning have developed an incredibly strong connection/compulsion between road trips and junk food. I have had cravings today like you would not believe! And I’m surrounded… Goldfish- those tasty tempters – are less than an arm’s length away. Animal crackers, Fritos…. The only things we don’t have to torture me is chocolate. And I’m not much on sweets! But the idea of grabbing a candy bar at the gas station to go with my coffee… It’s TRADITION!!! (and let’s not even get into the Pepsi machine that was talking to me at the last rest stop)

Sigh.

Other than that… All is well. I’m actually writing this in the car and we still have several hours of driving ahead of us. I think dinner will have to be Burger King (shudder) so I plan to have a grilled chicken salad with my own dressing that’s in the cooler. I tell you what… The only things holding me strong right now are a)I hate to break a hot streak b) I figure if I cave and eat garbage it will probably make me sick and c)YOU!! I don’t want to have anything to confess! :wink:

Tomorrow is weigh in, of course. I meant to pack my scale – really I was gonna! But in the chaos this morning it was forgotten. If there isn’t one in the hotel gym, I’ll use my weight from yesterday.

Update Well, we’re here in the hotel now. I survived! I ate a garden salad with grilled chicken from Burger King and used my own dressing! I am still starving though and am eating a leftover burger patty out of the cooler. I can justify that though, in that a)I haven’t had a whole lot of protein and b)I have a bad headache coming on. Pain meds don’t work on me on an empty stomach. Weird huh?

2 Comments »

  1. You may be more hungry than usual because you didn’t get all that exercise that’s been filling your days. I know that I’m way more hungry on the days that I have to sit at a computer and work than the days where I can be up and moving all day long.

    Good job resisting temptation! It’s tough when it is right there within arm’s reach. :-) I’m glad your final destination hotel has a gym! That will help. :-)

    Comment by Anita — September 11, 2006 @ 6:38 am

  2. WOOHOO - you’re doing just awesome girl!! For what it’s worth, riding in the car just makes me hungry. Heck, typing about riding in a car is making me hungry :)

No comments: