Friday 26 January 2007

Long Days Journey into (healthier) Life

I can’t believe it’s been six months since this blog and this journey began. Having less weight to lose than many of the women on the team, I expected that I would have reached my goals by now. While I am sometimes frustrated by how slow this process has been for me, I have learned much about myself and about how to live sensibly.

One of the things I have learned is that no matter how commonsensical some exercise habits might be, if I don’t like doing them while doing them (versus liking the results only), I won’t do it. Hence, I do not do aerobics, jog, or use machines. It is just not in me. With the exception of yoga or pilates, I like my exercise tied to something “natural”, like hiking, biking, or doing housework.

I have also learned that I am more interested in the wholesomeness of my food than in its caloric content. I have no problem whatsoever in getting rid of pre-packaged foods and eliminating perservatives. I shocked myself by easily cutting diet sodas from my daily drink intake and switching to water-only (after my morning coffee) in my daily life. There are certain foods, however, that will always be in my kitchen, including real butter and whole milk. I’m just a Nourishing Traditions kind of girl.:)
On the subject of food, I have also realized that my diet was already pretty good in many ways. There have been few areas that needed to meet with drastic measures. I think this is part of the reason that weight loss has been anything but fast. There are still changes to be made, of course, but they are more like tweaking than changing.

I think the biggest way that my life has changed these six months has been in my attitude about my body. My numbers have barely dropped, unlike so many of yours (yay!), but I feel better about how I look and am, for lack of a better expression, more comfortable in my skin. I have more muscle mass and have lost inches (a skirt that was too tight last fall fits me perfectly now); I feel stronger and I have more energy. I am encouraged that when I get to my goal weight, it will through changes that will last for the rest of my life. I am hopeful that when I get there, it will be because I have fully absorbed healthier ways and that I will not be able to imagine any other way of living. Slow and steady wins the race :)

2 Comments »

  1. Oh Laura…that is SOOOO cool!! You go girl!

    Comment by blestwithsons — January 26, 2007 @ 8:30 am

  2. Laura, I think you just wrote my story. :-) Do I have to write one? Ultimately, eating healthier is more the issue than weight, isn’t it.

    Comment by Anita — January 26, 2007 @ 8:36 am

No comments: