Thursday 4 January 2007

Garbage in, Garbage out

Filed under: Nutrition � admin @ 3:22 pm

I have been horrible the last several weeks with my eating and exercise and water. As a result, I have felt equally as bad. Even if I didn’t care what I weigh, the other side effects of poor nutrition just aren’t worth it. I thought that caring about how I looked should be ample motivation to take care of myself, but apparently I just don’t care enough about that. What I do care about though, is how I feel. I don’t mean “emotionally”, I mean physically. These last several weeks I have had everything from acne to kidney stones and I am convinced a big reason has been my diet.

We’ve all heard, “Garbage In, Garbage Out”….well, I’ve lived it the last few weeks. Apparently my body doesn’t run well on junk….at all. I’m sure it doesn’t help that I have lovely family histories with diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and the like. I snapped some pictures of myself on Tuesday and I was stunned by how awful I look. The fat is one thing but I look aged and ill…just since we did the photo posts even. My face has been breaking out like a teen’s. My allergies have flared up big time. Forget good sleep and energy…what’s that? I could go on and on about all the results of poor eating I’ve experience lately but I hope you get the point. Excess junk can not only KILL you, it can rob you of your health/youth while you wait.

So, I made a decision to start my own plan with a “bootcamp” mentality. I didn’t want to - everything in me is still rebelling at the moment (thank you addictive sugar)…but I began! Tuesday morning I weighed, measured and took photos (the ones I mentioned). My weight had jumped considerably since my last weigh in…but I kind of expected that. My measurements were not good either. And the photo, well, it just sealed in my mind what I’d already come to realize…I have to do something before this gets worse.

I’ve been on target since Tuesday morning. I know that isn’t long, but it is something. Why am I spilling all this out here? Because maybe I’m not the only one who went a little nuts over the holidays. Maybe someone else is feeling horrible too. They need to know that it’s ok to take a “do-over” and what better time to start than January 2007?

I keep telling myself that this next year (like the last) will pass no matter what I do - how do I want to enter 2008? Not like I exited 2006, I know that for sure!

4 Comments »

  1. Blair, you are so brave to share this with us. Thanks for your honesty and for telling me I’m not the only one who feels like everything went wrong during the last few weeks. I think the stress of my job has been a factor, and whilst I maybe haven’t gone as wrong as I might have done, I know I’ve had times when I just couldn’t be bothered not to eat that slice of chocolate cake (does that make sense?)
    So here I am, starting 2007, back on phase 1 of south beach. I know I also need to revamp my exercise, (which actually means I need to do some!).
    Lots of love and bigs hugs from me to you. Keep it up girl - you can do it :-)

    Comment by Debs — January 4, 2007 @ 3:31 pm

  2. Way to be honest. This last week has been a killer on me. I have eaten everything that I know I shouldn’t including cake frosting!! Yeppers. That’s my weakness. (Sigh) We’re all in this together!

    Comment by Tami — January 4, 2007 @ 6:42 pm

  3. Oh, Blair, I could say Ditto to everything you’ve said. I haven’t started “boot camp” yet, but I will. I have finally figured out that I need to go cold turkey off of all sugar - even Weight Watcher treats - for a while. Ack! I don’t know how I can do it, but I know I must. Thanks for sharing, I’m glad I’m not the only one.

    Comment by Carrie K. — January 4, 2007 @ 9:42 pm

  4. Debs - I’m so proud of you for getting back on track - that is a huge success in and of itself!!

    Tami - Cake frosting? Wow! I’ve done that too…right out of the container lol. You’re right, we’re in this together!

    Carrie, Carrie, my teamie, Carrie - Yes, I went off sugar cold turkey on Tuesday. I have had the shakes, headaches, nausea and all kinds of fun stuff…but it had to be done. I’m feeling better this morning though (morning #4). I posted a bit about just “doing it” over on my blog. The reason I’m calling it bootcamp is I’m doing a no nonsense approach with no junk for six weeks (the length of USAF bootcamp when I was in) in the hopes of kicking my sugar addiction. After that, I’ll go back to my “free-day” method. Let’s do this Carrie!!

    Comment by Blair — January 5, 2007 @ 6:58 am

No comments: