Tuesday 15 August 2006

Changing stinking thinking (Lorri)

This weekend was full of what Flylady calls “stinking thinking”……you know, that “oh, poor me, I deserve to eat everything in sight” train of thought that sometimes takes over. All because I’m adjusting to DH going back to work (he’s a teacher) and having full daytime & (some weekend) responsibility for DD again.

What a slippery path that “I deserve…..” road is!!! It starts with an observation……that becomes an expectation…..which when unfulfilled……..turns into disappointment……and more “if only” thoughts. And for me, that has usually meant eating my way through it. I SO STRONGLY wanted to do that this weekend! I even spent an hour googling dessert recipes, trying to find something that wouldn’t totally blow my points for the week…….all to end up just going to bed without any of it.

When the funk was still in full force Monday morning, I began to realize that I could either wallow in the mud, or take action so that I wouldn’t bring down everyone else. Instead of eating, I began with prayer…..”Lord, please help lift me out of this funk” and popped in a walking tape. Then concentrated on straightening up the house and getting a dinner plan ready so that DH would be greeted with the wife he knows and loves instead of the lump I’d been all weekend.

And you know what? It worked. Better than I expected. God CAN change me, if I ask him. Not my efforts, but His. It takes action on my part though…..God isn’t just a puppeteer, pulling the strings to move us in this way or that. He gives us our script, and we must act on it. And in doing so, we become more than what we were before.
« Dealing with Illness Is it bedtime yet??? »
2 Comments »

1.

Amen and Amen!!! Yay God! And good for you too! We must remember that we are not our own, we were bought with a price! And it is God who works in us both to will and to do His good pleasure!

Good stuff, Lorri!

Comment by blestwithsons — August 15, 2006 @ 8:39 pm
2.

Hallelujah! Good job! And way cool.

Comment by Anita — August 15, 2006 @ 8:46 pm

No comments: