Monday 7 August 2006

Be smart about exercise (lady Laura)

from Covert Bailey’s Smart Exercise

~Fat People Get Fit Quickest-Changes in oxygen uptake follow a curve of diminishing returns. If you are unfit, small improvements in oxygen usage per pound of body weight result in big changes in performance.

~Warming Up Before You Exercise Helps You Burn More Fat-Warm muscles burn fat more readily and are less likely to produce lactic acid. They’re also more elastic and less prone to injury.

~If You Are Exercising Hard Enough To Be Out Of Breath, You Are Burning Sugar Only, Not Fat-This kind of exercise leads to lactic-acid buildup–which causes the sharp pain you feel when running or cycling up hill.

~Outdoor Exercise Is More Effective Than Machine Exercise–Machine exercises are good for you, but running and every kind of outdoor exercise requires you maintain your balance, which means you are using more muscles and getting a better workout.

~Shorts Bursts Of Speed Or Intensity During A Workout Burn More Fat– Going a bit faster or harder for a very short period two to three times in a workout triggers an increase in fat-burning enzymes. This is called wind-sprints or interval training. Even after slowing back down, fat continues to burn at a higher rate than before the “sprint”.

2 Comments »

  1. Now see… this is why I love, love, love my bike! I mean, I know it will be better when I can get out and walk - but right now it’s a)too hot and b)too hard to get time to do sans kids. Plus I’m at the kinda weight which starts making my feet and ankles hurt before I should be done exercising.

    My bike has everything else you mentioned. Sprints of speed, varying resistance, gets my heart rate up without putting me out of breath… It’s Grrreat!

    Comment by blestwithsons — August 7, 2006 @ 6:13 pm

  2. Oh, I read his book several years ago and LOVED IT!!! He gives such great advice and tips doesn’t he? Thanks so much for sharing these for us!!!!! :)

    Comment by Leann — August 7, 2006 @ 7:10 pm

No comments: