Tuesday 15 August 2006

Weight lifting is for EVERYONE (Leann)

I know you look at me and roll your eyes because I mention things like jogging/running, hiking, and other various strenuous things to do. For the record, I am not ready to start running again and struggle with my workouts, too.

I have mentioned it before and I am not trying to be a know-it-all because I certainly don’t know it all. I am merely sharing a bit of knowledge when I share these things that I learned along the way. Like I said, I struggle with all of this, too, even though I have taught aerobics and been an exerciser for most of my adult life. It seems that something changes around the age of 35 that makes exercise imperative and shaking the ol’ exercise routine up a bit more important, too. That being said…

I want to share with you how important it is to lift weights. First of all, women do not and cannot get ripply and bumpy the way men do when we lift (unless you are on steroids ;) ). Secondly, as we get older it is important to keep our metabolism high and to burn calories more efficiently. Thirdly, it staves off heart disease, diabetes and other diseases including osteoporosis. It strengthens, not just our muscles, but our bones and our brains. (Yes, you think more clearly when you are strong and healthy)

There are basics you need to know to start but all you need is some kind of weight (dumbbells, soup cans or children of small proportion - LOL) and time. It helps to know that if you work one side you need to work the other (ie. If you work the bicep you need to work the tricep. If you work the quadraceps you need to work the hamstrings). That keeps you from getting injured and makes you balanced in your shape.

If you need help getting started and want a video or DVD to get you through I HIGHLY recommend the Firm series - especially their strength training videos.

You can do an upper body workout one day and a lower body the next but do not work the same muscle groups two days in a row. You need at least 48 hours recovery time for your muscles to recover from the stress. The soreness you feel is the muscle tearing down and it takes 48+ hours for it to start rebuilding in the shape that you want to be strong and healthy. If you feel a burning sensation while working out that is lactic acid and it is part of anaerobic (without oxygen) activity. Aerobic is with oxygen, btw… The burn is lactic acid tearing down saggy old muscle to rebuild it later. It is also a sign that your muscle is working to full capacity and if you want you can back the weight down a bit so you can do more reps. That is up to you…

HEAD’S UP: You will gain weight when you gain muscle so don’t let that scare you. It is good weight. For those using the scales only to measure your success I recommend that you get that old tape measure out of the drawer and start measuring your improvement with that, too. Take your bust, waist and hip measurements and also measure your upper arm and upper thigh. You will see changes in these areas when you start lifting.

Here is a list of the basics you need to cover.

Upper Body

* Bicep curls (front of arm)
* Tricep Dips (back of arm)
* Lateral Raises (for shoulders)
* Push ups (all of your shoulder and upper body and back)
* Fly (rotator cuff and chest)
* Crunches (a variety of positions can be used to work all of your stomach and waist area)

Lower Body

* Squats (Quadraceps and Buttocks)
* Leg lifts from the knee or Hamstring curls if you have a weight bench(hamstring area)
* Toe ups or standing on toes (calves and shins)
* More Crunches (you can do these every day if you like)

Here is a website that has great information to help you understand more about lifting for women and the importance of it. There are lots more exercises there, too. If, like our home, you have access to weight equipment and you have a hubby or son who knows how to use it then get them to help you through the first few times. My hubby LOVES helping me lift weights. We will often workout together that way. If you access to a gym or a CURVES facility they have trainers that can show you what to do.

Always be safe and do not overextend joints (elbows and knees) while working out. Get a full range of motion without going past the safe point. Drink lots of water and always, always, ALWAYS stretch before and after your workout.

WARNING: May cause hubby to become quite amorous to work out with you and to see that new shape you are getting!!! Get ready for late night workouts!!!!! LOL

3 Comments »

  1. Quick question: is resistance work with a band-type thingy the same or as good? Or is that something else altogether?

    Comment by lady laura — August 15, 2006 @ 12:31 pm

  2. Yes, you can use resistance band for strength training, too. I would start with that and build to some free weights, though. You can get muscles like inner thigh and outer thigh that you cannnot really work with weights effectively and I really like them. I have several and when I taught aerobics we used them with the class all the time. Good stuff… :)

    Comment by Leann — August 15, 2006 @ 12:35 pm

  3. Thanks for the good description, Leann! A good reminder that I need to get back into it. I did Body for Life style strength training a few years ago and loved it! At the time I wasn’t restricting eating, so my weight stayed the same, but I could sure fit into things that I’d never been able to before at that weight!

    Comment by Lorri — August 15, 2006 @ 8:22 pm

No comments: