Friday 27 April 2007

Early Graduation (Blest)

My parents are here! They arrived on Monday which, if you’ve missed me, explains my absence from the wonderful world of web. :wink:

We’ve been having a great time. I got, of course, the lovely array of parental SPUNKs.  My favorite, I think, was the first one which sprang from my mother’s mouth as she walked in the front door.  “STOP it!” she said, “That’s thin enough. Stop it right now!”  :lol:   I’ve subsequently proven that I do indeed have a few pounds left to lose on my bum and thighs, but still - the generally agreed upon perception is that I now look like a “Skinny Minnie”. Wow.  I’ve also been told that it’s time for me to shut up about it  - and I agree.:grin:

My parents are healthy eaters, and my mom is a great cook, so this hasn’t been a tempting time foodwise.  We went out for her birthday to a great Mexican place, but I had my usual fajitas with no tortillas - so that was fine.  Yesterday though, something happened which has ne’er happened before since I started this nine months ago.  We were in Mesilla, NM and went to another Mexican restaurant for lunch. A restaurant which had virtually no South Beach options.  :eek:   I mean - I could have had an iceberg lettuce salad with no dressing - but why pay good money for something like that?!  Or I could have had a bowl of soup, avoiding the chunks of potatoes. But I really didn’t want soup…  What to do?   So I did the unthinkable.  I ordered something “illegal”.  :shock:   I had a green chile chicken enchilada.  Yes I did.  I scraped the top layer of cheese off to cut the fat down some, and I didn’t eat the sides of rice and refried beans, but I did indeed very slowly eat that single enchilada.  (the non SB part of which is the corn tortillas and the probably high fat content, by the way)  And let me tell you something: It. Was. GOOD.

You know, a large part of my no cheating mantra, which evolved over the first few months of my journey, has come from a feeling that this whole process has been so easy, somagical, that if I ate one little forbidden thing, or just held my mouth the wrong way, I would wake up tomorrow and all the weight would be back on.  Seriously -  I knew it was irrational. But that’s how I’ve felt. Yesterday I found that I really could eat something off-plan and walk away still slender.  And I didn’t immediately start eating everything else in sight, either!!  Though I will admit that a little wicked voice did say, Well, if you’re going to allow yourself that, you might as well have some ice cream too!. But I told the little voice to shove off and promised myself a small ice cream for my birthday in July. 

I think that this is what living a healthy lifestyle means.

I think this is what it is supposed to be like when you transition out of SB Phase 2 (the losing weight phase) and into Phase 3 (the maintenance phase).  Oh. By. George.  I think I’ve got it!!  This is what it is going to mean to live my life this way and not gain the weight back.  Small food indiscretions here and there, carefully chosen, carefully enjoyed…and then right back on plan!  That’s how it works!!

I feel like I’ve graduated.  Which of course, I haven’t. Since I’m not actually at goal weight.  But it is kinda cool to have a preview of how it’s gonna be.  I’d be a naive ninny not to realize that hitting goal weight is not really the end.  A huge percentage of “losers” become gainers, y’know.  I don’t want to be one of those. But this experience really made me feel like I’m gonna make it!

4 Comments »

  1. I’ve been wonderin’ about you and am glad to hear that you are having a good time.

    Comment by lady laura — April 27, 2007 @ 11:30 am

  2. Good job! The other thing that is different about you from when you began this weight loss journey is your active level! You’ve added regular exercise in - and that is key to keeping weight off. Most dieters don’t want to exercise (they tell themselves they hate it) but most (maybe not you, but most) slip back into their old eating habits eventually, and the weight comes back.

    You’ve got it right! It’s about healthy living - keep active and make 90% of your choices good healthy ones. And on those special occasions (no, Fridays are not special occasions) allow yourself an indulgence or two. Professional bodybuilders who are VERY strict about what they eat - down to macros and percentages - call these “refeeds” and your body needs them - it actually helps boost the metabolism.

    I’m so happy for you - you look wonderful and you sound so happy.

    Comment by Cara — April 27, 2007 @ 5:53 pm

  3. I’m thrilled for you too! You’ve done an excellent job and I know that if anyone can reach goal weight and KEEP it off it’s going to be you!

    But really, this post makes me want an enchilada! :P

    Comment by Bethany — April 28, 2007 @ 10:32 am

  4. Just today Brandi and I were wondering where you had gone off to. ;-)

    Comment by Bird — April 29, 2007 @ 11:26 pm

No comments: