Monday 9 April 2007

The real reason not to "Cheat" (Blest)

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying this is the only way to lose weight or the best way to lose weight. I am merely expounding further on something that’s working for me on the off chance it will prove useful to someone else.  After reading it, feel free to loudly sing the song “It’s your thang, do what you wanna do” to yourself several times. :razz:

I have to confess something.  I cheated the night before Easter. (GASP!)  Actually, it was the teeniest, tiniest of cheats, and I had a good rationalization reason.  I made my traditional Easter Coffee Cake for the choir brunch.  (We had to be at church at 7am and sang six songs in all three services - so we needed FUEL!) This cake is extremely delicious - a spicy base with a streusel topping that has cinnamon, nutmeg, pecans and TONS of sugar.   Well, not tons. But there’s a whole cup of brown sugar and 3/4 cup of white.  I didn’t have time to experimentally South Beachify the recipe.  After all, I have a reputation to uphold as a good cook - one can’t take an experiment to a party like that! :wink:  But I did use whole wheat pastry flour instead of white.  And I had to use allspice in place of the nutmeg because I seemed to be out…  Well - with those two changes, a taste was imperative. This is where my “cheat” comes in.  I cut a piece, and took a bite from the corner - a bite with no streusel I might add!  My husband ate the rest. 

One bite. That’s it.  I was actually disappointed, because I hoped I would be able to say “Ugh! Too sweet!” - but it tasted as yummy as always.  I didn’t have the streusel, though. Maybe if I had a bite of that I would have been put off by the sugar…   Here’s the thing, though…here’s the reason I’m telling you about this paltry incident:

The next morning, my Oat Muffin did not taste as delicious as it usually does.  It tasted boring.  It tasted bland.  It did NOT taste sweet.  One little bite of coffee cake - and my palate was tainted. 

Now by evening, all was back to normal. I had another muffin for dessert and it was muy delicioso.  But the experience left its lesson.  People are always asking me if I’m going to go back to eating everything when I am “done”.  I really don’t think I will.  Everything I eat now is very healthy and tastes sooooo good.  If I start eating “forbidden” food again - the sugary stuff, the processed crap… not only will I probably not feel as good, but my taste for fruits, veggies, and low sugar treats will not be as honed. 

I really do think I’m going to eat this way - with very few deviations - for the rest of my life.

No comments: