Wednesday 30 May 2007

Changing horses midstream (Jana)

Last week I said I’d been doing something new.  You might remember that I started SlimFast exactly one year ago, and I lost 40 pounds following their plan and controlling my portions.  So why would I switch from something that was definitely working for me?

I was only ten pounds away from my original goal (160 - which I’ve now changed to 150).  And I started freaking out.  What if the weight came back?  I mean, I eat well, I don’t eat a lot of junk, I’m not one of those moms who bakes all the time, but still, what if?  Then one day I was cleaning my bookshelves and I saw a book called Healthy For Life by Dr. Ray Strand.  The subtitle of the book is: Developing healthy lifestyles that have a side effect of permanent fat loss.  Someone recommended it, I bought it, and then it sat on my shelf.  I picked it up and started reading.  That word “permanent” sounded good.

Dr. Strand starts out talking about carb addiction.  Now, I’ve heard this before.  I never exhibited any of the symptoms people attribute to carb addiction, so I never paid it much attention.  But I read on.  And then I got to a chapter called “Killer Fat.”  Basically, he says that abdominal fat is one of the indicators that a person is developing insulin resistance, which can lead to all sort of health problems, including diabetes.  I was only too aware that while I had lost 40 pounds, I had only lost 2 inches from my waist.  My grandmother has diabetes.  I don’t want it.

So the following weekend, after finishing the book, I went shopping and bought all the ingredients for his first week’s menu plan.  Lots of fresh veggies and fruits, beans and nuts, and absolutely no bread or pasta.  He recommends at least 4 weeks on this plan or until you’ve lost all your excess weight, and then you can add in certain grains and pastas, and the second part of the plan is the way you eat for the rest of your life.  His plan also includes at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, and nutritional supplements.

So this is my fourth week.  I rather enjoy the menu plans - lots of salads, fruit smoothies for breakfast, stuff like that.  And I’ve never used so much olive oil in my life.  I’ve lost an inch and a half off my waist in three weeks!  So yes, I think I found my problem, as well as my solution.

I would really recommend this book, especially to anyone who has lost weight before and gained it back, or to anyone who is having trouble with abdominal fat.  Even if you’re already on South Beach (which is very similar), this book explains the science behind why it works.  Now that I know this, I feel much more confident about keeping the weight off.

I’m still waiting for all that extra energy and feeling great stuff to happen, but that’s a different post…

2 Comments »

  1. Too cool Jana! There’s a Change In Your Life! So One Day After Day soon you’ll be at goal! And I’ll Hear Your Voice saying “I feel So Much Better!”

    :lol: I crack myself up.

    Comment by blestwithsons — May 30, 2007 @ 7:18 am

  2. I don’t think I know about this site of yours! Thanks for steering me here. You must be petite by now. Carbs are definitely my downfall. If I limit those I do really well. (Green tea has some effect too.) Thanks! Hugs, e-Mom

    Comment by e-Mom — July 18, 2007 @ 2:08 pm

No comments: